CLICK HERE to apply for Summer 2018
WHO ARE CAMP I AM SPECIAL BUDDIES?
The Camp I Am Special annual Fashion Show was held on February 24, 2018 at St. Matthew's Catholic Church in Jacksonville. Great fun was had by all as the models showcased spring and summer fashions from Sears and Roz & Ali. The audience enjoyed a delicious Italian fare lunch followed by the show. A huge thanks to the DCCW and Italian American Men's Club for making this wonderful event happen for the 36th time! We enjoyed seeing all our Camp friends, both on the runway and in the audience.
SUPER SATURDAYS 2018
We look forward to offering another Super Saturday in the Fall of 2018. Check back here for more information.
Click here to access the 2018 Super Saturdays Buddy flyer and application
SUMMER CAMP 2018
BUDDY APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION.
Join us as we go back to 1983 and celebrate the 35th anniversary of Camp I Am Special!
Session 1: Sunday, June 10 thru Saturday, June 16
Session 2: Sunday, June 17 thru Saturday, June 23
Session 3: Sunday, June 24 thru Saturday, June 30
Camp Closed: July 1 thru July 7th. Happy 4th of July!
Session 4: Sunday, July 8 thru Saturday, July 14
Session 5: Sunday, July 15 thru Saturday, July 21
Session 6: Sunday, July 22 thru Saturday, July 28
Session 7: Sunday, July 29 thru Saturday, August 4
The Buddy-In-Training Program is a new component of the Summer Camp application process at Camp I Am Special. The one and a half hour trainings will provide us the opportunity to meet Buddies and provide our Camper parents another level of assurance we are making the best possible decision when not only selecting our Buddies but in matching our Buddies to our Campers.
The goals of the program are multi-faceted:
- Provide information regarding the Buddy Program for new applicants and their parents through an informational session followed by an open forum for questions.
- Orient new and seasoned Buddies to the exciting changes and upgrades they will experience over the summer.
- Educate the Buddies on what to expect at Camp, what to pack, who they will meet during their week, what the programming will be as well as the expectations in caring for and befriending a Camper.
- Orient new and seasoned Buddies to the progressive leadership opportunities at Camp. These include the Buddy in training program, the Buddy program, the Camp Leader in training program and the Camp Leader opportunities.
- Allow the Camp Staff to meet prospective and returning Buddies before summer placements to assist in the best Camper-Buddy pairings.
We understand Camp is a difficult environment- long hours, unfamiliar situations, communal living, strong traditions, new routines, just to name a few. Through the one and a half hour sessions, teenagers and their parents will become more familiar with the program, and be able to come to Camp most prepared and ready for additional in-depth training before their session.
The mandatory sessions will be held at Camp I Am Special and at Queen of Peace school in Gainesville. For those who live further than 75 miles form Camp, accommodations will be made. It is your responsibility to alert Camp to needing an accommodation.
It is not mandatory to RSVP, however it is mandatory to attend if you plan to Buddy for the Summer of 2018.
For additional information or to RSVP for a training session, call the Office at 904-230-7447
Below are the available Buddy-in-Training Sessions and Locations:
February 3, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 2:00-3:30 (after Super Saturday)
February 17, 2018 @Queen of Peace, Gainesville 10:00-11:30am
March 02, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 6:30-8:00pm
March 17, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 9:00-10:30am
March 23, 2018 @ St. Joseph Academy 3:00-4:30pm (For St. Joseph Academy students only)
March 25, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 3:00-4:30pm
March 28, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 10:00-11:30am
April 03, 2018 @ Camp I Am Special 2:00-3:30pm