SUPER SATURDAYS 2018-2019
Super Saturday dates: October 27th, February 2nd and April 20th.
Super Saturdays are fun days at Camp I Am Special to provide respite for Camper families and fun for the Campers. The Buddy commitment is to attend from 8:30am until 2:30pm engaging Campers in various activities. This is a great way for teenagers to learn more about Camp I Am Special and experience Camp before the summer.
Applications will be handled on line through Camp Site.
Visit the Apply tab and choose Be a Buddy to access the application.
Mini-Camp 2018 will be held on Saturday, December 15th from 9am until 7pm for Campers, and 8am until 7:30 for Buddies. This one day Christmas extravaganza will be a festive day of games, crafts, the always-popular Straw Market, meals, snacks and weather permitting, pool time. Camp Leaders, nurses, Buddies and Camp Staff are prepared to provide a safe, fun day for all Campers!
Visit the Apply tab to choose Be a Buddy to complete the application.
2019 FASHION SHOW
The Camp I Am Special annual Fashion Show will be held on March 2, 2019 at St. Matthew's Catholic Church in Jacksonville. Great fun will had by all as the models (Campers) showcase spring and summer fashions from Sears and Roz & Ali. Buddies act as escorts to the models. The audience enjoy a delicious lunch followed by the show. A huge thanks to the DCCW for making this wonderful event happen for the 37th time! We enjoy seeing all our Camp friends, both on the runway and in the audience.
SUMMER CAMP 2018
Continue to check back here for the dates and exciting program changes for next summer.
The Buddy-In-Training events are a necessary and mandatory component of Camp I Am Special Buddy program. The one and a half hour trainings will provide us the opportunity to meet Buddies and provide our Camper parents another level of assurance we are making the best possible decision when not only selecting our Buddies but in matching our Buddies to our Campers. Each Buddy is required to attend one Buddy-In-Training session. 2019 dates will be forthcoming.
The goals of the program are multi-faceted:
- Provide information regarding the Buddy Program for new applicants and their parents through an informational session followed by an open forum for questions.
- Orient new and seasoned Buddies to the exciting changes and upgrades they will experience over the summer.
- Educate the Buddies on what to expect at Camp, what to pack, who they will meet during their week, what the programming will be as well as the expectations in caring for and befriending a Camper.
- Orient new and seasoned Buddies to the progressive leadership opportunities at Camp. These include the Buddy in training program, the Buddy program, the Camp Leader in training program and the Camp Leader opportunities.
- Allow the Camp Staff to meet prospective and returning Buddies before summer placements to assist in the best Camper-Buddy pairings.
We understand Camp is a difficult environment- long hours, unfamiliar situations, communal living, strong traditions, new routines, just to name a few. Through the one and a half hour sessions, teenagers and their parents will become more familiar with the program, and be able to come to Camp most prepared and ready for additional in-depth training before their session.